Monday, October 13, 2008

Push Vs Pull Marketing-2( little of both)

In my view, one cannot have these two techniques in isolation. For any marketers need to apply for push and pull marketing strategy for effectively promoting product as well as pulling seroius buyer.

"Push strategy makes use of a company's sales force and trade promotion activities to create demand for a product." These organizations make lots of cold calls.

"Pull strategy is one that requires high spending promotion to build up demand for a product." These organizations receive calls.

Push strategy, I think, is more suited to selling products that customers don't know they need. But it also can be used when there is no effective channel for promotion that Pull requires.

My products only sell to those who truly need them, so Pull strategy has worked extremely well. Especially since the advent of the Internet, making us so easy to find. But, in searching for additional business, can we find the customer before they go looking (using either Push or Pull)? And which will be more effective?

As the pragmatic marketer that I am, I willing to consider an option that falls somewhere in the middle. That option would be 'nurture marketing'. You are pushing-out your message more directly than traditional promotion, but with a goal of pulling-in demand. The change here is at the marketing level, which means me. Can I do this effectively? Or is it easier for me just to let the sales team try to Push?

No comments: